Weekly Quote
"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins
Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Book 9
I saw an interview with this author on the TODAY SHOW and it sparked my interest. My best friend growing up was from a Chinese home. His mother had her MD from Harvard. Everyone attended a private school and the boy my age was a genius! I always envied how much he read, how he could play the piano, and how spelling looked like it came so natural to him. I think I know why now...
This book inspired me on parenting techniques. The end of the book talks about how Amy's daughters think that it's the Chinese way to raise hard-working children and how "Westerners" are just lazy. I think they are generalizing. Because my parents pushed me and I pushed myself. It is the American Dream...work hard enough and you can have anything you want.
My favorite teacher Mr. Mitchel told me once, "Ritz it doesn't matter if you are not smart, you work hard, so you will be able to accomplish anything." A back-handed compliment from him always left me wondering. But if it wasn't for him I would never of thought about applying to become our high school's Sterling Scholar.
Children need boundaries but they also need liberty to choose. Some exist well with such strict structure but others will crumble. And I think that is what the author tried to convey. You need to be consistent and it does pay off.
Parenting is not fun. Parenting is work. Parents gets frustrated. Parents bribe. Parents fight with their kids and that doesn't make them a bad parent.
It was fun to realize all those through this book.
I'm no means a Tiger mother, but I will be pushing my children to excel. I too view their adolescent years as a time to prepare to become an adult. I know now what avenues there are and what kind of extra-curriculars need to be on their resume.
I think parents are dooming their children if they don't push them. Because if they don't believe from an early age they aren't smart, they let public school categorize them as such, they will grow up to believe it (don't get me started on the folly's of public school).
I'm glad I read this book and probably will keep it on a regular rotation to help remind me about how much work being parent is, but also how rewarding it can be for you and the children you raise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment