Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Teaching Moment...

Remember that post where I talked about how people would hurt my kids? Ha! I took my kids to do some VT and then as a reward promised them that I would take them to the children's museum. We went and it was closed for a private party. Lame. I tried to tell Joshua it was closed, and he could see kids in the window and said, "it's not closed mom, see!" Kids.

It was 10:45 so I decided I would take them to our new Chik Fila. They seem to have a good play area for them. We went and EVERYONE (employee) was incredibly nice! Like Nordstrom nice. Loved that. No kids were there at the play area yet, loved that! The door to the play area said they have it cleaned regularly by a company. Yes! And of course, signature fresh flowers on my table. Love!

Then a snooty mother came with her snooty daughter and son. I'm mean, I know. But she was. So I decided to leave from her sneering eye and go into the play area with my kids. At first having her kids there seemed to be fine but then I heard the girl say to Joshua, "Leave us alone!" Ouch. Okay. So I pulled Joshua aside and said, "she just needs some space love. Why don't you go play over there." Que puzzled Joshua look.

Then this girl kept saying it to Joshua and climbing up the slide instead of going down it. Hello, where is your mother? Finally I asked him if he wanted to leave. He thought about this and then said, "yes." As we were loading up I asked Joshua if that girl was being mean was the reason he wanted to leave (because he never wants to leave a playground). He said "yes." Then he said, "why was she being mean?"

...

What to say?

....

"She was probably mean because her mommy is mean and didn't teach her how to be nice."

He said,"ok."

Probably true?

Sometimes I cringe at the idea of having a girl. They seem so mean! But then I have to remember cute Briley, and the girls in our ward who are so sweet (Sadie, Anna, Brooke etc.). Some girls are sweet but their mothers are even sweeter and ever present in their lives.

Guess children really are a map of their parents.

No comments:

Blog Archive