I was surprised how these two books were so similar. I had not planned it that way but, I think both have an underlying message.
It is SO important to speak.
A favorite line from Kingdom of Heaven (not a great movie but this line was electrifying),
...but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.
I think when we come face to face with an incredibly difficult situation we tend to fear it. Try to cover and protect ourselves. But at what price?
Is protecting ourselves from physical danger, peer pressure, or disappointment of other, worth not speaking up?
In these two books it shows the pain that comes from not speaking up.
Are we providing an environment that others feel safe to speak in? How can we become parents who their children trust implicitly, that they are willing to come to us about their problems? What habits do we need to change in order for our children to always know that they can talk to us about anything?
Are we raising children who will speak up for others and what is right? Are we teaching them that they ALWAYS have choice in EVERY situation?
These books made me want to cry. I was tortured. Because I have children.
I want so desperately to be there for them and to always remind them that they do have a choice. Always.
Motivating books.
Speak, by Laurie Anderson is probably PG but The Kite Runner, PG-13, for brief swearing and harmful material that may be damaging for those under 13.
Both good books. Book amazing reads.
Weekly Quote
"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins
Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.
No comments:
Post a Comment