When we moved into my current ward I had to give a talk about the Plan of Happiness and I used my grandparents as a perfect example of it. This is how I described how I learned about the Plan of Salvation while growing up.
"Despite having numerous grandchildren I always felt like I was the favorite grandchild. They taught the gospel primarily by their example. They served several missions after retirement and taught their children and grandchildren about the importance of the Plan of Salvation.
My mother use to always threaten my brothers, that if they ever decided they didn’t want to go on a mission they would have to be the one who told Grandpa. And the thought of disappointing my grandfather was a threat she often used, even though my brothers always knew they would go on a mission.
My grandparents had a hall in their home with a 8X10 picture of them, on their wedding day, in front of the temple. And they put each of their child’s wedding day picture, in front of their chosen temple, on the wall. As I continued to grow up, I noticed that the “temple wall” which is what we call it now, grew. Every grandchild knew that this was the standard. And I remember looking up at the wall often as a young child, and thinking, someday I am going to be on that wall. I knew the standard and I strove to live up to it."
Not only were they kind and loving people, they were great examples of teaching their grandchildren the gospel. You hearing growing up that your action affect other people and now I can fully see that the righteous actions of two people can affect generations. It is an overwhelming thought.
My grandma died yesterday evening. She was the last surviving grandparent that Matt and I had. I know losing such precious people to me would much harder if I didn't have the gospel. If I actually had to deal with the thought that I would never see them again or that my time with them was lost forever, it probably would eat at my soul. But I know that I am eternally connected to them and am grateful that they are only gone for a little while.
I am sad that they will never get to dote upon my children and make them feel the way I felt in this life. But I am grateful to have been part of their heritage. I wish I could attend her funeral and see all my family...we have become quite a large group...
I am grateful to you grandma! Kind of jealous you get to meet Benji first...
I will miss you!
Happy I get to share the same wedding anniversary with such an amazing couple!!!

2 comments:
Oh Cuz that was perfect! Can I just copy that and put it on my blog?! I really can't believe she is gone- of course I am SOOO happy for her, but I am also so sad! I am sad I won't get to see you at the funeral either! Take care of yourself and that baby though!
PS..I thought I was the favorite grandchild?! ;)
I am pretty sure I was the favorite girl...but maybe you could be second ;)? I can't believe she is gone either, but I am glad her and grandpa are finally together. Poor woman! Really sad about not being there too to see her and everyone else! We sure do have a good family!
Post a Comment