Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Book 17

I remember having a copy of this book on my window seal in Junior high. It was wrapped in a clear plastic cover my mother had sewn for it. I never picked it up because reading religious books seemed beyond boring. I already went to seminary, church, and YW. Honestly, how or why would I need more religion?

If my attitude had been better as a youth I think I really would have been changed and gained some much needed insight to help me cope with life.

Probably one of my most favorite books. A quick read, always a plus, written in a John Bytheway/Brad Wilcox way, super plus, and insightful. All in all a much needed book for anyone.



Here are some of my favorite parts.

"Yet the "good news" of the gospel is good news to me not because it promises that other people who are better than I am can be saved, but because it promises that I can be saved--wretched, inadequate, and imperfect me..."

"So until we accept the REAL possibility of our own exaltation in the kingdom of God, we do not yet have faith in Christ; we not yet believe."

"Weakness can be saved; rebellion cannot."

"No the gospel sometimes isn't fair, but that is actually part of the good news. IT isn't fair--it's merciful...The threat of hell is the threat of getting justice, of getting what we deserve and of paying what we owe without any interference from mercy."

"One purpose of the Church is to perfect the Saints. Since we make the most progress by working at the limits of our abilities, then no matter how much we do or how well we doit, the Lord--like the spotter in the gym--will always ask for more, will always seek improvement, will always push us towards salvation...We need to remember that our salvation is not hanging in the balance...we shouldn't get embarrassed when we reach our limits or take offense when we can't do all that is asked of us. Rather, we must learn to take satisfaction in performing at the limits of our ability."

"Human being are inevitably the arsonists of their own happiness."

I know I've been MIA on the book goal lately but we went on vacation, I finished my huge 30X40 painting and haven't decided if I like it, and now Joshua is out of school, so I think my book reading will continue to slow. But I'm doing all that I can, and that is good news!

No comments:

Blog Archive