I have a talk I absolutely LOVED this week that I read. It was by Elder Scott and was given during a priesthood session in 2008. It's called, Honor the Priesthood and Use It well.
I was floored by this talk. Truly a winner. As an Apostle of The Lord he clearly states how the church sees women. How they value the worth of womanhood and how a husband/church leader should view women. If there was any question in your mind about how concerned the brethren are about women in the church this will help you see. One of the MANY talks I've found. Well worth the effort to read.
Here are some highlights from the talk.
"The family proclamation states that a husband and wife should be equal partners. I feel assured that every wife in the Church would welcome that opportunity and support it. Whether it occurs or not depends upon the husband. Many husbands practice equal partnership with their companion to the benefit of both and the blessing of their children. However, many do not. I encourage any man who is reluctant to develop an equal partnership with his wife to obey the counsel inspired by the Lord and do it. Equal partnership yields its greatest benefit when both husband and wife seek the will of the Lord in making important decisions for themselves and for their family. (2008 October General Conference, Honor the Priesthood and Use It Well, Priesthood Session - Richard G. Scott)
"As a bishop, when you counsel with a husband and wife who are in marital difficulty, do you give the same credence to the statements of the woman that you do to the man? As I travel throughout the world, I find that some women are shortchanged in that a priesthood leader is more persuaded by a son rather than a daughter of Father in Heaven. That imbalance simply must never occur."
"The purpose of priesthood authority is to give, to serve, to lift, to inspire—not to exercise unrighteous control or force. In some cultures, tradition places a man in a role to dominate, control, and regulate all family affairs. That is not the way of the Lord. In some places the wife is almost owned by her husband, as if she were another of his personal possessions. That is a cruel, unproductive, mistaken vision of marriage encouraged by Lucifer that every priesthood holder must reject. It is founded on the false premise that a man is somehow superior to a woman. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The scriptures confirm that Father in Heaven saved His greatest, most splendid, supreme creation, woman, to the end. Only after all else was completed was woman created. Only then was the work pronounced complete and good."
"God will hold us accountable for how we treat His precious daughters. Therefore, let us treat them as He would wish to have them treated. I pray that the Lord will guide us to be more inspired, sensitive, and productive with the priesthood we hold, especially with His daughters."
"Therefore, as a husband or son, express gratitude for what your wife and mother do for you. Express your love and gratitude often. That will make life far richer, more pleasant and purposeful for many of the daughters of Father in Heaven who seldom hear a complimentary comment and are not thanked for the multitude of things they do. As a husband, when you sense that your wife needs lifting, hold her in your arms and tell her how much you love her. May each of us ever be tender and appreciative of the special women who enrich our lives. (2008 October General Conference, Honor the Priesthood and Use It Well, Priesthood Session - Richard G. Scott)
1 comment:
Wahoo!! I have a story for you! I'm on the computer, trying to work on my lesson for Y.W. next Sunday and am worried that I don't have enough material. I decide I want a two second break, so to make myself feel better, I'd look at pictures of the cutest baby alive and then I'd be okay. But then...I scroll down...and my amazing sister-in-law has posted a talk that is PERFECT for my lesson on "how do I honor and uphold the priesthood". You are the best and just saved my lesson. Wonderful timing :)
Post a Comment