Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thinking out loud...

I'm thinking out loud again. Sorry. I've recently come across a women my age who couldn't wait to tell me how every women in her family has become much smaller since they had children. She asked if I had experienced that phenomenon. I defensively said, 'well my weight is the same but my body seems to have changed shape. Meaning my rib cage and hips are wider. ' She didn't say anything but looked like somehow she knew that would not happen to her. This kind of made me upset. I'm so thrilled that I can still wear the same clothes bc buying more clothes would of been expensive but her comment started to make me feel less proud of what I had accomplished. Now this girl is very nice and I'm sure she meant well but I'm really sick of how women compare each other. Why do we body check our friends? Why do we complain about an after pregnancy body? I mean heck, your body just created a baby! That is amazing and beautiful! We should all just congratulate ourselves on that. So I had a feeling to search for a talk I had heard a while ago and thought I'd share it with you. It gave me multiple answers to some questions I was thinking about.

It's by Elder Holland and it's called To Young Women. Again we see the church praising women and declaring how we stand on equal ground with the men. Hope you enjoy!

"First of all, I want you to be proud you are a woman. I want you to feel the reality of what that means, to know who you truly are. You are literally a spirit daughter of heavenly parents with a divine nature and an eternal destiny. 1 That surpassing truth should be fixed deep in your soul and be fundamental to every decision you make as you grow into mature womanhood. There could never be a greater authentication of your dignity, your worth, your privileges, and your promise. Your Father in Heaven knows your name and knows your circumstance. He hears your prayers. He knows your hopes and dreams, including your fears and frustrations. And He knows what you can become through faith in Him. Because of this divine heritage you, along with all of your spiritual sisters and brothers, have full equality in His sight and are empowered through obedience to become a rightful heir in His eternal kingdom, an “[heir] of God, and joint-[heir] with Christ.” 2 Seek to comprehend the significance of these doctrines. Everything Christ taught He taught to women as well as men. Indeed, in the restored light of the gospel of Jesus Christ, a woman, including a young woman, occupies a majesty all her own in the divine design of the Creator. You are, as Elder James E. Talmage once phrased it, “a sanctified investiture which none shall dare profane.” 3
Be a woman of Christ. Cherish your esteemed place in the sight of God. He needs you. This Church needs you. The world needs you. A woman’s abiding trust in God and unfailing devotion to things of the Spirit have always been an anchor when the wind and the waves of life were fiercest. 4 I say to you what the Prophet Joseph said more than 150 years ago: “If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.” 5

A woman not of our faith once wrote something to the effect that in her years of working with beautiful women she had seen several things they all had in common, and not one of them had anything to do with sizes and shapes. She said the loveliest women she had known had a glow of health, a warm personality, a love of learning, stability of character, and integrity. If we may add the sweet and gentle Spirit of the Lord carried by such a woman, then this describes the loveliness of women in any age or time, every element of which is emphasized in and attainable through the blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

In terms of preoccupation with self and a fixation on the physical, this is more than social insanity; it is spiritually destructive, and it accounts for much of the unhappiness women, including young women, face in the modern world. And if adults are preoccupied with appearance—tucking and nipping and implanting and remodeling everything that can be remodeled—those pressures and anxieties will certainly seep through to children. At some point the problem becomes what the Book of Mormon called “vain imaginations.” 11 And in secular society both vanity and imagination run wild. One would truly need a great and spacious makeup kit to compete with beauty as portrayed in media all around us. Yet at the end of the day there would still be those “in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers” as Lehi saw, 12 because however much one tries in the world of glamour and fashion, it will never be glamorous enough.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So funny you picked this talk. I was sitting next to someone that was struggling with this very issue during this conference talk. She had been considering cosmetic surgery and received a very obvious answer to her prayers with this talk. She had been so sad, and her life is so hard I can't even imagine, that she decided an image change would help, and she decided to ignore the counsel. Now it seems like she takes every opportunity to justify what she did. It didn't make her happy. It didn't change who she is for the better. Now the idea has streamed to her children like the talk said it would. They have all struggled with eating disorders and image problems now as well. It shows just how wise this counsel is. What I think, and this is just me, is if we are trying our best to stay healthy, follow the word of wisdom, exercise and take care of our body, and only worry about if we feel good about ourselves (doesn't mean we have to be super models), then it's all good! Thanks for the post. A lot of us really struggle with being hard on ourselves. Love you! And you don't you ever have to worry about what people think. You always look FANTASTIC! You've got that healthy glow that was mentioned in the talk. LUCKY!

Blog Archive