Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Pen v. Sword

I while back I wrote an op-ed for the BYU paper. I wrote about frustrations about being categorized by people. Since most most people know I'm adopted and don't speak Spanish they know I've experienced rejection from both the Hispanic community and the caucasion community. It never really got me mad until I went to BYU. I always just thought it was funny. But this certain person made me so angry about not being Latin enough for my current job at BYU that I lost it!!! I was getting so angry it started to effect me. I lost sleep for several weeks and finally decided to do something.

I did what my history classes and my health classes said to do. I wrote an opinion editorial about my cultural dichotomy. And guess what BYU actually picked up the story that week! I know the BYU newspaper isn't that great of a publishing source but I was proud. It shut that girl up and we started to get along again.

So lesson learned...the pen is really mightier than the sword. I'm writing about this bc on Saturday night I was bored and typed in my name to google and added BYU and guess what I found. Some Hispanic community spokesman posted on his very well read blog my article. I was floored!

I'm sharing this because I want people to believe in the power of writting. Not only that but believe that if you are experiencing some kind of trial there usually are more than a handful of people who can relate. Take comfort in knowing you are not the only one experiencing sorrow. Writting is good for the soul--so write, even if it is only in your jounal.

1 comment:

Haskell's said...

I love you for you!! It wouldn't matter if you were green. That person is dumb and I think you are one of the most brilliant beautiful people in this world. I'm glad that story was published. Clearly that person doesn't know the REAL you...

Blog Archive