My current call as a nursery leader drives me crazy! Crazy because the one day of the week where I get to sit and learn from other mothers and women in the church is spent wiping noses and comforting tired kids. I love Relief Society and the strength that comes from being an active member of that wonderful organization. But primary is beyond me! I want someone else to babysit my kid--bc let's face it--motherhood is draining! Having one day where I get to wear cute clothes and not worry about smeared goldfish all over dry clean only clothes is great!
But I've figured something out. Something that took a lot of effort to be reminded again.
"the Savior will help you do what He has called you to do, be it for a time as a worker in the church or forever as a parent. You may pray for help enough to do the work and know that it will come" Eyring 2000
"the good works that really matter requires the help of heaven. And the help of heaven requires working past the point of fatigue so far that only the meek and lowly will keeping going long enough. The Lord doesn't put us through this test just to give us a grade; he does it because the process will change us." Eyring 1990
Being a mother really does require working past the point of fatigue but I can find help from heaven in doing it. I can also find help dealing with crazy nursery children. This job as a nursery leader will prepare me for the future--whether it be future callings or future kids(totally not announcing!). But both scare me to death so I guess I better start relying more on the strenth certain situations give me rather than the situation itself.
But I only have 4 more Sundays of nursery for now!!!!!! :)
Weekly Quote
"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins
Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.
3 comments:
I swear you write your blog for me... it always helps me. I found this talk on youtube it's "Mother hood-an eternal partnership with God. You need to watch it. It made me feel better after a day of tears. Sawyer only sleeps maybe three hours a night and I am just so exhausted emotionally physically and mentally. Thanks for always being so honest. It makes me feel better. You know how i feel about you and how much I admire your strength and example!
Is it bad that I always comment on your posts?? But your topics always hit so close to home. So here are my thoughts. I have been nursery leader twice and once in the primary presidency over the nursery (where people found it not part of their calling to actually show up in the nursery). I had a lot of frustrating days. Days where I would come home to my own four kids and cry and say "Give me a break!" I am in the primary still now trying to get 75+ kids to sing happily for 20 minutes at two seperate intervals! I'm learning that I will never get a break. I wasn't blessed with the opportunity of being a mother to be given a break I guess. So here's my advice...Just take every week and see what you can do to make the nursery better. That's how I always challenge myself. I take every week and see what I can do even better the next. Nursery is over in four weeks, but you have a lifetime of not getting a calling that is easy or convenient. I know you. You're going to have A LOT of VERY BUSY callings! The reason that we're here is to learn and grow, and I honestly don't know a quicker way to learn patience and love for god's children than to be put in the Primary. I've been in it now for 7 straight years. No breaks. It took me a long time to come to grips with the idea, but now I know that that's just where the Lord wants me so that's where I'll be. I hope this helps. You can make it. Love you! Good Luck! You can do it! I am always so inspired by your posts. You are such a dedicated mother to Joshua! I love having you for a sister-in-law. Matt did great!!
Carrie
Thanks Erica I'll watch that talk--thanks for always brightening my day with your awesome comments. So glad we grew up together!
no worries Carrie I love comments. I love that blogs are a great way to vent. I'm venting--like a journal. I write about tough subjects that I've come to terms with and know how to deal with it now. I write not to give advice or search for answers but bc I love to write as I'm sure you do too. :) finding answers for yourself comes easiest from your own personal study of the gospel. It's more intimate that way and I'm just sharing experiences bc I think it's fun. :) guess we will see you on the 21st in Heber.
Post a Comment