Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I am a Child of God

I am a Child of God is one of my favorite hymns.  I sang it when I was pregnant with Joshua and having extremely painful contractions.  When people say you can't sleep through contractions they are right.  I would wake up every 10/15 minutes and then sing the song during the duration of the contractor.  I remember thinking, HELP me please Heavenly Father! This is the most pain I have yet to experience and it just keep going.  The hospital kept turning me away and were completely incompetent about recognizing that I was never going to dilate enough to push out a giant baby! Side story.

But it's helpful to know because that is the song I chose to sing when I was in excoriating pain.  When I need help, I knew that the only place I can always rely on is my Heavenly Father.

That song again meant something to me when I was serving in the primary presidency in TN.  Senior primary girls would sing this song with a descant.  It always brought me to tears.  When I hear that song sung with the special descant I miss my southern roots! I miss those darling little girls from my Senior primary.  I think about them and how special they are.  I hope and pray that they will always stay true to the gospel principles and in turn be able to claims those blessings that will make them happy.

This Sunday for the intermediate hymn they sang it.  I told my kiddos to sing loudly because I love hearing them sing.  Hearing them sing and thinking about my life I had an overwhelming feeling that I was known by my Heavenly Father and that He would help me rise over anything that might come.  I began to weep because I felt the spirit so strongly.

I want to remember this moment because I know there will be times when I don't feel up for the challenges that I am facing.  When I don't feel adequate enough for what life has given me.  But I can look back and remember the time the Lord gave me a tender mercy when I wasn't even expecting it.  When I didn't know I needed it.  He truly does know me and what I need.

Music is so powerful.  Especially the right kind.


No comments:

Blog Archive