Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Friday, August 29, 2014

"But If Not..."

I have felt more than overwhelmed with this move. I have had to move with three little kids. And try and update all our information with three kids. Most days I was moving so fast I didn't realize how tired I was. 

The other day I had a breakdown. In TN there are amazing schools and kindergarten is all day. Joshua would have rode the bus and the school was well staffed with high standards. Joshua's teacher here sent an email out with some of the goals he would meet at the end of the year and I lost it. He was already doing those things. I began to worry. 

After a long talk with Matt and realizing the only reason Joshua is smart is because I TAUGHT him. It wasn't ever a school. I realized that if I wanted Joshua to be stellar I was the one who had to make it happen. A true job requirement of a mother. To teach. I felt overwhelmed at first because I was looking forward to not working with him so much and focusing on my other two boys. But I figured out that isn't how it works. 

I read two amazing talk and here are my favorite highlights from them. 

They knew that they could trust God--even if things didn’t turn out the way they hoped.4 They knew that faith is more than mental assent, more than an acknowledgment that God lives. Faith is total trust in Him.

Faith is believing that although we do not understand all things, He does. Faith is knowing that although our power is limited, His is not. Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him.
But If Not … 
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2004/04/but-if-not?lang=eng

President Joseph F. Smith’s counsel applies today: “Do not let your children out to specialists … , but teach them by your own precept and example, by your own fireside. Be a specialist yourself in the truth.”12

“When you recognize the importance of teaching your children, you become humble, because at once you realize that this is accomplished by precept and example. You cannot be one thing and effectively teach another. You must live and study and pray for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. You must purify and organize your life so that your example and leadership reflect the light of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Fatherhood, an Eternal Calling
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2004/04/fatherhood-an-eternal-calling?lang=eng

Both were an answer to a silent prayer in my heart. Does life ever slow down? Do I ever get to rest? Doesn't he see how exhausted I am? 

I know my Heavenly Father loves me and cares about me. He daily proves that to me. 







Our second weekend here we went to see a national park in Colorado Springs. It was beautiful and everyone had fun. There are so many outdoor things to do here and I am determined that we do some of them. Joshua and I are working on dad to get him to let is rock climb as a family. 
First day of school. He was more than ready and I cried. I'm a softy. 
Everyday we walk to school the skies look like this. But then by 3 o clock it rains. For a desert it certainly rains a lot here. Have loved the cool mornings here. 

No comments:

Blog Archive