Weekly Quote

"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins

Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Continuing thoughts...

I'm blogging again because I feel impressed to share what I have been blogging about on my friend's blog. The supposed heated debate that some people see in the Church.

Stay at home mother VS. Career Woman

I have written on her blog twice and feel that is all that I needed to do to express my thoughts. However, I wanted to expound a little more on my own blog.

Two items I would like to address.

Each women should activity seek spiritual guidance for what is best for herself and what is best for her family. It should not depend on books we learn from controversial classes, from the media, or any other bias outlet. It should come as direct revelation from our Heavenly Father.

I'd like to call attention to my first example. My aunt worked full-time while her kids were growing up. She was a fabulous woman! I have never heard her children or anyone who knew her condemn her for being a working woman. On the contrary, she has been praised for her tenacious personality, and her goodness. No one can say otherwise. That decision to work full-time I'm sure came after deciding what was best for her and her family based on personal revelation. I know because my aunt chose to work her husband chose to be more involved then most dads. He helped around the house and helped the children when she couldn't be there. It requires both parties in a marriage to sacrifice in order to make anything work. If you choose one way then you make adjustments to meet the needs of the children.

The second item I would like to call your attention to is that we as members of the church are quick to judge. We compare everything. Callings, sizes of families, and the kinds of homes we live in. That is why this is sometimes a heated debate. Women who choose to stay at home sometimes find fault with their counterparts who have chosen to work. And of course vice versa. Women who work find fault with women who stay at home. We may hear, "they were so driven, why would they give that all up to have children?" Or things like, "there children wouldn't have made those mistakes if the mother was home."

Have you heard of Lamen & Lemuel? I'm 100% sure that Sariah stayed home and her children still chose to rebel.

My point is that I do not believe there is such a rift as we often believe. And if there is, shame on us. Who are we to judge each other? We can't understand personal circumstances and we never will. Accept those women in the church who choose one way or the other for who they are; strong, powerful, passionate, educated, tenacious, and long suffering people.

Stop trying to categorize everyone. If you don't fit the model that is probably a good thing. Be strong because you want to be strong, not because it is controversial. Live your life the way you know you should and nothing else will matter because it isn't man who judges us in the end.

1 comment:

Haskell's said...

I love this post.... I have been getting a lot of people who say i shouldn't work and a lot of people who say i should work more. I work two days a week. It's so hard to be away from my baby, but i was going to work four days a week, but we prayed about it and i need to be at home more, but we also need that money because braydon is going to dental school and can't work as much as he used to. I think we are just a judgemental people and that is easier then to look at our own lives... who knows why. it's silly

Blog Archive