The other day our beloved Nissan Altima would not start. Joshua and I really needed to go to the store so I decided I would fix it myself (Matt would not be home until 7:30pm). I have lucky enough to have a brother who always wanted me to NOT be a helpless girl. I have done numerous oil changes, a radiator flush, waxing jobs semiannually, and the list goes on.
I popped the hood and took a look. Hhmmm. It looks like the battery cables have become corroded. I will just clean them and see if that is what is causing the problem (it has happened before with our car). So I set out to clean it. I assembled baking soda, water, and petroleum jelly. I had a scrub brush and several napkins from the car also. I took off the battery cables cleaned them, lubed them, and felt actually quiet proud of myself. I was feeling like a REAL Ms. Independent. Now if only it would start. I impressed my neighbors because I was a girl fixing my car without a man. Their faces looked similar to the ones I saw in CA when I was washing & waxing my car in our apartment parking lot. I guess it is really weird to see a girl take care of her car.
I got in feeling the car after I was done, feeling very proud, and suddenly my hopes were dashed. It didn't fix it. I was so sad and really disappointed because I really wanted to fix it and be proud that I did.
Turns out Nissans have a problem with 'flooding' in cold weather. The good news is that our battery cables are clean and that our car does not have any major problems, like with the alternator...which is what I was afraid of.
Weekly Quote
"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins
Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.
1 comment:
Maritza, I think you rock. Which is all you need to know.
Post a Comment