"They are His Children and they are your children, flesh of your flesh, for whom He will hold you responsible. You have rejoiced over them, and in many cases you have sorrowed. They have brought you happiness as no one could. They have brought you pain as none other could."
"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children."
"As long as they are in your home, let them be your primary interest."
"None of us is wise enough to make it on our own."
These quotes come from Presiden Hinckley's address "Your greatest challenge, mother." I wanted to write out how I feel about motherhood. If you have been around me lately you will know that I sometimes hold my chaotic child in contempt ;). He is walking and causing all kinds of trouble now. He was never a child that would sit still in church or anywhere, unless he was asleep. He has never slept well, actually he has for a few months, but then the holidays came/pneumonia and now we are all off. Joshua probably has some separation anxiety, which I don't know how, I'm with him constantly. Matt is working and going to school full-time so my life is very crazy! I often feel overwhelmed and sometimes 'complain' but I don't think people understand this completely. I'm NOT complaining about my child, JUST what my child does.
I LOVE, LOVe being a mother. I love my little boy with all my heart. So, when I talk to you about motherhood, don't take my words literally. Would you rather I put on a fake face and tell you that motherhood is absolute bliss, all the time? It is my trial to raise my child, who is like as my mother puts, "hell on wheels."
But oh, I love the smiles, the giggles, the hugs, the kisses, the games we play together, how he cuddles with me. All of that you don't see and I can't explain that to you. Those moments, those priceless moments are private, intimate, and cannot be understood by those who don't have children. Just like the gospel, you can't explain in words that do it justice. You just have to experience it for yourself and know.
Sure, I would love more "me" time but that would not make me happy. I've never been happier in my life, but I've never worked harder in my life. No sleep, barely anytime to do anything for myself. But I would not change anything. Did you hear that? I would not change anything!!!!
I wrote those quotes down because I feel that they really spoke to me today while I was reading that talk. President Hinckley knows it is a challenge to be a mother, but maybe you are one of the few, who find it absolute bliss and have a perfect baby/life; but I'm not.
And I love that Joshua is challenging and keeps me going. My arms have never been as tone as they are to date because I'm always carrying around 25 lbs. It is great! It is a work-out chasing him down in stores and even more of a work-out to get him ready for the day and ready for bed. But I LOVE IT!
Weekly Quote
"You will experience great joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism."
-Elder Perkins
Here is to a new year of being more optimistic and more like my amazing children. They teach me everyday about how to be better.
3 comments:
25 lbs? I weighed Saders today and she was 26 lbs (granted she's been sick). Our kids weigh the same! So should my arms be toned too?
You can do it Maritza! You're a wonderful mom. It is such a big change from being able to just take a shower when you want to, to having to plan your entire day around the hopeful event....maybe if I get up at 3 a.m. kind of thing. That's the hardest thing about your first is that you've never experienced it before so it just feels like each stage will never end. But they do and then you move on to something different. You can do it! Love you!!
I think you are brave to share how hard it is to be a mother. It is so hard and i've only been doing it for 5 weeks. I know you love him and that he makes your world better. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for venting it's an out for you. we all know how darling he is and they do things that make you so happy. You are a great mother and i hope to be like that.
Post a Comment